Sunday, December 15, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

A must try recipe for those who haven't tried it yet , super healthy and nutritious soup , specially for the kids , try this one when you feel lazy to cook a complete meal , I was feeling so yesterday , made this soup and then had some snacks to complete our dinner. Its easy too , check your fridge for any leftover broccoli florets and little bit of cheese.Think I should try it with Cauliflower too , will try it next time I buy cauliflower.

Changed the original recipe which I found in Allrecipes.com , I  change it always , add suitable ingredients  which I like to the recipe. Some how I don't like measuring things to make a recipe unless its cakes, in which the measurements should be accurate.


As I was trying this for the first time , made it in less quantity , just for the three of us , you may double the measurements here or how much ever you want.


Ingredients 


Broccoli - 1 head ( medium size) Finely chopped
Garlic - 2 tsp finely chopped (Optional)
Onion - 1 medium ( I used spring Onion 3-4 no's the green and the white part chopped )
Butter - 2 table spoon
All Purpose Flour - 1 and 1/2 table spoon (or corn flour )
Green chili - 3 no's / or Black pepper crushed - 1 tsp or more
Cheese - 1/4 cup (I used cheddar cheese , you pick the cheese what ever you like or have )
Salt to taste
Whole milk - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups


Method 


* Heat the butter in a pot , add garlic , onion , green chili (if using) and the chopped broccoli , cook stirring continuously in low heat for about 5 to 7 minutes till the broccoli is cooked and turns little crispy (cooking time depends on the size of the broccoli pieces , I had finely chopped these so took just 5 minutes)

* Add in the flour to the broccoli and stir for another 3 minutes until you can smell lightly toasted flour , pour in the milk and water , add the salt and pepper (if using) , heat to boil the soup, once it starts to bubble add the grated or cubed cheese and wait till the soup lightly thickens to switch off the heat.

* Serve hot with toasted Bread 

You will like it even if not a fan of Broccoli !!

Cheers
TN




No comments:

Post a Comment