Thursday, April 11, 2019

Fish Mappas -Alappuzha Style



Happy Easter !
Before I begin with Congratulations to me because its almost close to a year now that I have updated this space of mine. Many stories to be written about this past few months when I was hibernating from blogging, my job, toddler, Christmas in India and our nest to manage kept me so busy all these days. Hoping this season of spring brings with it all positive vibes yes " positivity " it is.


This recipe is one which never disappointed me ever, though I am not a fan of "Fish Mappas", I always received a very acceptable review from almost all, to whom I served it and hence thought to re start blogging with something I am very confident in making.

Please do try this dish, you may try it with any fleshy fish , Karimeen (Pearl spot) is what they use in Kerala to make it ,King fish, or Pomfret would be equally good.I tried it this time with Golden Pompano, that's what I could choose from the limited options of fishes here.

And this is how I made it
Ingredients 
For marination 
Pompano fish - 2 whole, sliced to big pieces
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chili Powder  - 1/ 2 tsp
Vinegar - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Other ingredients 
Shallots - hand full sliced
Green chili's - 2 -4 no's
Crushed ginger and garlic - 1 tsp each
Tomatoes - 3 no's ( I used few cherry tomatoes)
Coconut milk - 1 cup each of thick milk and thin milk
Curry leaves - few springs
Coconut oil - 2 - 3  tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Meat Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Masala /Spices - crushed 
Cardamom - 4 no's
Cinnamon - small piece
Cloves - 5 no's

Method

  • Marinate fish with the ingredients given under marination keep for 10 to 20 minutes, shallow fry these until just done.
  • To the same oil (that was used to fry fish) add the whole spices(given in the ingredients list) , crushed ginger, garlic, green chili's, shallots and curry leaves, saute and fry it until onion turns light brown, add 2 chopped tomatoes and continue sauteing until oil starts to separate
  • Add powders - coriander powder, turmeric powder and redchili powder (if using) saute for another 2 minutes in low heat and add enough water (about 2 cups)
  • When this starts to boil add shallow fried fish, thin coconut milk and salt, stir and cook in low heat for 7-10 minutes until everything combines
  •  Add thick coconut milk cook for just a minute and switch off heat, arrange the sliced tomatoes over the prepared fish curry, curry and sprinkle meat masala powder, keep this closed for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
  • Serve Mappas with bread, Paalappom , Chapathi or Rice.


Notes
  • May use store bought Meat Masala powder instead of the whole spices listed here
  • Add thickness and enhance richness by adding ground cashews (soak few cashes in water and grind it to a thick paste, add this to the curry before adding thick coconut milk)
  • Make this recipe look greenish in color by substituting red chili powder with more green chili's in the gravy (I prefer green color, green chili's that I had in stock was super hot and hence I didn't want to take chance this time)

I haven't correctly quantified the ingredients list (I never do it) and hence this might alter little bit, you would want make changes as per your taste ;)

Wishing you all again a very Happy Easter..

Cheers
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Life experiences In our often busy lives finding a unique experience for ourselves or finding a gift for our loved ones or loyal customers or hard working staff just becomes a ...

    ReplyDelete