Thursday, May 15, 2014

Homemade Tahini & Hummus Recipe


I had a sudden crush on Hummus ,its flavor and that smooth consistency conquered my taste buds the day I had it from one of our friends house,  so decided to make it the next day itself. 
Glad that at least after 2 months I could make it at home , actually I was in search of a low priced Tahini Paste which I couldn't find, as in her recipe she underlined this ingredient (Tahini)  and I didn't want to take chances as if my Hummus didn't come out well , Soccer man will declare to trash it. 
But now I know Tahini paste can be used in many ways beyond Homemade Hummus , it has a consistency similar to Peanut Butter , can think about using it as an alternative for the same - Idea from www.yumsugar.com  

Since Tahini is just Sesame seed Paste  , decided to try making it at home as it couldn't be easier.
Its just grinding Sesame seeds with little Olive oil and salt ,

Ingredients for Tahini 

White Sesame seeds - 3/4 cup
Olive oil - 4 Tb sp (Approx , depending on how thick you want it)
Salt to taste

Method 

 * Preheat the oven to 375 Degree F , Spread the sesame seeds on a Cookie sheet/Baking tray , Bake for 5 to 7 minutes placing the tray in the middle.
 * Switch off the oven , take out the tray , mix and re spread the seeds and keep it back again in to the oven (which is switched off) keep for 2 to 3 minutes.

 Seeds lightly changes it color 
Toasting the seeds boosts up its natural nuttiness. 

* Transfer these toasted seeds to a mixing bowl/food processor and grind it for a minute (to powder it first) then drizzle olive oil over it and grind it again to make a paste , do season it  (I didn't add salt as I made it to make Hummus this time , will be adding salt to Hummus anyway) 

Tahini stays in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. 

May add more Olive Oil to make it loose

I didn't store it this time , as I used it for making Hummus.


Hummus Recipe 




Recipe adapted from Here 

Ingredients 

Chick Peas / Garbonzo Beans - 2 cups (Cooked , I used 16oz Can) 
Yogurt - 1/4 cup 
Tahini /Sesame Seed paste - 1/2 cup 
Lemmon Juice - squeezed juice from 1 Big Lemmon (May use more if you like) 
Garlic - 3 no's 
Mint leaves - 4 to 5 no's 
Water - 2 Tb sp (optional - if you want it loose , I didn't use) 
Salt to taste

To garnish 

Olive Oil - 4 Tb sp (or more - up to 1/4 cup ) 
Cayenne Pepper / I used Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp 
Parsley leaves & some Black or Green Olives 

Method 

* To a food processor or a Blender , drop the garlic first and then add all the other ingredients,
   Grind to make a smooth paste (add water if necessary) , transfer to a bowl. 


* Pour Olive oil and sprinkle Cayenne Pepper / Red chili Powder on top 
  Garnish this dish with olives (Optional) and some chopped Parsley. 


Serve with Pita bread ,or Pita Bread Chips ,  Crackers or Vegetables 


In some recipes they have added cumin seeds / cumin powder , if you like the taste do add the same.
Hummus stays in fridge for up to 7 days , store in air tight containers.

Enjoy !!

Cheers
TN 

No comments:

Post a Comment