Friday, February 28, 2014

Mathanga Erissery / A traditional Kerala dish with Red Peas & Pumpkin



The first question Soccer Man  asked me when we talked about my cooking skill's before our wedding was " If I knew how to make Mathanga -Payar Curry " that's this Pumpkin & Red peas curry , I then thought if he is crazy ??? why didn't he ask me if I bake a cake or make a pudding ?? anyways I didn't ask him this question and I replied " Not a big deal I can learn "
he asked me to learn that from his Grand Mother....and am now glad that I could learn cooking from her :)
I feel very happy when I am with his Granny , not sure what her secret is, may be because I didn't have my own Grand parents with me while growing up , enjoy spending time with her.A lot to learn from her experiences which sometimes she shares.

Here is a quote - Steve Jobs said

LIFE IS ABOUT 
CREATING & LIVING 
EXPERIENCES 
THAT ARE WORTH SHARING 



For a Malayali (People who speaks Malayalam - language of Kerala/India) this dish is just enticing, its one among those dishes in our place , in which peas or lentils are happily married to Veggie's with a bond of Coconut which makes it perfect for a Mallu- Palate.
A popular side dish for Rice.

Ingredients

Red cow Peas / Vanpayar - 1/2 cup (soaked overnight or else use a pressure cooker to cook)
Pumpkin/ Mathanga - 1 cup cubed
Water - to cook

To grind

Coconut - 1/2 cup coconut
Cumin/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Green chili's - 2 to 3 no's
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp

For seasoning

Coconut Oil - 2 Tb Sp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Shallots / Small Onion - 4 to 5 no's
Curry leaves - 1 spring ...I didn't have :(
Dry Red Chili's - 2 to 3 no's crushed
Red Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup

Method

* Cook the red peas with enough water (If soaked it takes less time , I didn't soak it so I used a pressure cooker to cook it till 2 whistles heard , to save time)

* Grind the ingredients given for grinding (coconut, green chili's , cumin/jeera ,turmeric powder and some water) to make a thick paste. Keep aside.

* Open the lid of the pressure cooker and add in the cubed pumpkin and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till the pumpkins are nicely cooked. (Add water if there isn't much water to cook the pumpkin)



*Add in the ground coconut paste and bring to boil in medium heat , slightly mash the pumpkin pieces with a spoon.Lower the heat when it starts to boil and bring to a consistency you like it , I wanted it thick so I heated it till the water reduced.



*In an other pan , pop the mustard seeds in coconut oil , add in the diced shallots , dry red chili's and curry leaves , saute for 2 minutes and add in the grated coconut , roast these ingredients till everything looks nice and brown , add the red chili powder and switch off the heat.


*Add the roasted coconut ingredients to the cooked Pumpkin & Peas  and switch off the heat



*Serve with Hot rice.


Cheers
TN







No comments:

Post a Comment